Search This Blog

Saturday 19 May 2012

The Grazing Goat, 6 New Quebec Street, London W1H 7RQ


The Grazing Goat, 6 New Quebec Street, London W1H 7RQ
21/04/12
http://www.thegrazinggoat.co.uk


She said…He had been wanting to try this local gastro pub for a while so I finally acquiesced. Having looked at the dining room upstairs I preferred the space downstairs which had more atmosphere, felt more open and allowed in more light. I placed myself strategically next to a roaring fire as we were in the middle of London’s ‘wettest April on record’. The prices on the menu reflected it’s Marylebone locale – higher than they needed to be but fitting with the gastro-pub scene in the area. I ordered a refreshing plum, pear and mint juice which, at £4 was indeed fresh and decided to go for the warm, smoked salmon salad which I really enjoyed. I had a side of Portobello mushrooms which were luke warm and forgettable. He seemed to enjoy the place more than I; not that I didn’t enjoy it but it seemed like a regular, modern ‘gastro’ pub to me which I wouldn’t avoid going to but wouldn’t actively go back to. Pleasant local.

He said… I bet you this is the kind of local everybody really wants in their neighbourhood. There may not be any hipsters sulking in the corner, or z-listers pulling each other’s extensions out. But the digs are quietly opulent, and the food’s good. It was early when we got there, so it’s hard to say what the clientele is on an average night, but it all felt solidly middle-class. Exactly my bag. I ordered the vegetable pie, with a side of chips, washed down with a Pimm’s (it was slightly less rainy than usual that day). The crust was all that it should be: golden, light, and crispy; the fillings was a mix of veg now lost in the mist of time, but stewed in a creamy but light and flavourful sauce. Delish. I would have it again. I picked at one or two of her mushrooms, which were disappointing, so I guess you do have to tread with care. Price was high for a pub, but worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment