Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Aubaine, 31 Dover Street, London W1A 4ND


Aubaine, 31 Dover Street, London W1S 4ND
13/11/2012

She said: I had noticed this new addition to Mayfair and having never been to the Aubaine chain which had caught my eye in other parts of town (Chelsea, West End) I thought it was time to give it a go. I was not disappointed. This is a classy joint with a sophisticated yet laid back French café feel with food to match. The service was attentive and in fact when they seated he and I separately at separate tables (not having realised we were one party having arrived at different times) they took our deserts off the bill!

I opted for main and desert this time with my main being a goats cheese tart which was the right balance of all things, followed by a ‘Dulce’ tart which I had chosen from a plate of amazing looking options presented by the waiter at my table. I really enjoyed the whole dining experience and would recommend Aubaine equally for a romantic meal, business deal or ladies lunch. The total bill came to £53 for two courses plus coffee. About what you would expect to pay for the location.

He said: I always thought of Aubaine as a small-plate type of place, so I really had no expectations about this one. And Aubaine’s frontage takes-up a tiny patch of Dover Street, so I certainly wasn’t prepared for the surprisingly large and comfortable dining room at the back. Maybe this is why I like this restaurant so much – it was all so unexpected. The food was French-bistro-meets-Ottolenghi: fresh, simple, light and tasty. Service was swift and attentive. The pricing was spot-on. If it was a car this restaurant would be a Volvo: top quality and not time wasted on flash. In aspirational Mayfair there’s really not much like Aubaine. This is a great place for a laid-back meeting,  business or otherwise. I’m looking forward to going again.

No comments:

Post a Comment