Search This Blog

Saturday 9 March 2013

Roast, The Floral Hall, Stoney Street, London SE1 1TL

Roast, The Floral Hall, Stoney Street, London SE1 1TL
09/03/2013

She said: After wondering around the all-absorbing Borough Market and partaking in a little too much food sampling, we caught the lift in the market up to Roast. As the lift doors open and you pass the narrow reception area you enter a vast open contemporary dining space with a beautiful, high glassed roof and windows overlooking the bustle of the market below. It is definitely worth requesting a table by a window as we were seated in a perfect corner table with windows on two sides which allowed us to truly appreciate the fantastic architecture of the iconic market and undertake some great people watching. The menu offered a good range of British cooking and I opted for a fillet of Gunard which was small for the price and I was glad I also ordered a side of coleslaw. The chocolate pudding was delicious and the test of my latte arriving at the same time as desert was good enough. At £100 for two courses for two people and soft drinks, Roast is at the higher-end of the price-scale but offers a unique setting and some decent enough food.

He said: I confess that I was totally distracted and can’t really remember the food that well: she’d had the foresight to book the best table in the house, by the corner window overlooking Borough Market. It’s not the Pyramids, but what a setting! I grew up on the continent, and for as long as I can remember weekends are associated with food markets – Saturday for the local one, where the circus also sets up in the autumn, sometimes with a high-wire motorcycle act; Sunday for the enormous one near the train station where the fun fair beds down for the whole summer. For me the rhythm of the rows of stacked produce, the colours, the smells and the buzz of the crowd is total catnip. If Whiskas came on a plate I probably wouldn’t have noticed. As it was, I got salmon, which I liked but which, at £23 a plate is expensive even by London standard for a far-from-extinct species. Since I’m on the confessional tip, I admit that, for once, the menu included lots of vegetarian options, all of which I ignored although they actually were much better value and which, judging by the standard of cooking, would have been very good choices. My sticky date pudding was a real winner, as confirmed by the she-buzzard’s spoon swooping down on my plate with alarming frequency. When will she learn that you don’t have to order chocolate just because it’s on the menu? To sum up, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Roast is a unique proposition if you’re by the right windows; otherwise you could be at any number of very good establishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment