Search This Blog

Saturday 8 February 2014

The Gate, 51 Queen Caroline Street, London W6 9QL

The Gate, 51 Queen Caroline Street, London W6 9QL
08/02/2014

She said: Wow. Not sure how this one slipped my radar. Playing on his iPad one day, The Gate popped up in a new restaurants section of a very old website; it’s been around forever. As a smart vegetarian restaurant and fancying myself as a smart vegetarian, we headed over to Hammersmith to see if it would offer up the stodgy stuffed vegetables and hippie food of yesteryear or something different for the hungry vegetarian (note to self: good name for a future restaurant). As we existed the tube and wandered down a road full of housing estates, we stopped outside a mental health facility sure that we were in the wrong place. We crossed the road as he consulted Google maps and I noticed ‘The Gate’ sign by a Christian church of some kind. As we approached the church and entered a gate I thought: ‘he’s going to kill me for bringing him to a canteen in a church hall run by people that are going to talk us into converting while serving us hot pot vegetable stew from a cauldron’…But as we passed a lovely courtyard and turned up some stairs, we entered a beautiful dining room in what looked like a former artist’s studio, with large industrial windows and glass ceiling, creating a lovely, bright space. I was beside myself when I got the menu. Usually I go through a process of elimination in choosing what I can eat but this is the first time in a long while that I was interested in everything. The menu offers a wide choice of creative, tasty-sounding starters, mains and desserts. After much discussion with him, I chose the Carciofini to start which was a delicately fried artichoke filled with mushrooms, served on a bed of lentils and with a garlic sauce. It was absolutely delicious. For mains I ordered the Aubergine schnitzel but I had also wanted the beetroot ravioli. After another diner received his schnitzel and I saw the massive portion which looked amazing but beyond my capabilities, I was in time to change my order to the ravioli. I did not regret this decision. A manageable portion of homemade pasta with a sweet filling offset by a tangy topping of sundried tomatoes. I really wanted to have a dessert as the many options were calling my name but I knew my stomach would not oblige so had to pass. The Gate has been a real find – probably THE find in a long time. Service was friendly and efficient, the food wonderful, the menu changes every few months, prices are reasonable and the room just lovely. I just wish it was closer to home but now I have a reason to return to Hammersmith, over and over gain. Don’t miss this one – vegetarian or not.


He said: Unless you live in that corner of London you really, really have to want to go there to find The Gate. From London’s core group of vegetarian grandes dames, this is probably the last that we tick off our list; but it’s certainly not the least. The Gate definitely rewards the determined veggie. It’s a bright, breezy haven just out-of-range of the toxic fug belched-out by the thunderous traffic chugging ceaselessly along London’s great open wound, the Hammersmith Flyover. It’s set on the upper floor of what once was a large artist’s studio, with high ceilings and loads of sky and light flooding through the massive windows. It’s decorated in a laid-back style with not a single concession to vegetarian stereotypes: no pictures of the Dalai Lama, no Peruvian horse blankets, no dream catchers, or baskets woven by Biafran street urchins. Unlike most veggie restaurants which either try too hard or try not enough, The Gate hit the cosy/stylish balance just right. The only ambiance wrong note that I can remember is the coffee machine noisily grinding away, echoing in the cathedral-like room. The totally expressionless service from our East-European waitress was charming in its own way, and certainly efficient. The food was a real surprise: full of flavour, texture and colour – it wasn’t just ‘good for vegetarian’ but good by any yardstick. How nice, for once, to go to a restaurant where the typically death-filled menu has more than just the token concession to veggies. There was certainly plenty at The Gate that I wanted to try, but I settled for the wasabi potato cake, and followed with the wild mushroom polenta: at once familiar and inventive, and very tasty. It may not be as clever and  sophisticated as nu-skool veggies like, say, Vanilla Black, but this is the kind of thing I like. Out of the London’s various non-Asian vegetarian restaurants, The Gate in Hammersmith is definitely the first one that I would go to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment