Search This Blog

Sunday 27 April 2014

Sagar, 17a Percy Street, London, W1T 1DU

Sagar, 17a Percy Street, London, W1T 1DU
27/04/2014
www.sagarveg.co.uk

She said: I’d been for a long run and was starving. I had been looking up cheap vegetarian restaurants and came across Sagar which looked like a cheap and cheerful South Indian vegetarian restaurant in Fitzrovia so off we went. We were the first ones in for lunch. The space was modern and bright and I was looking forward to my meal. The menu is huge and prices fair. We started with onion bhajia which was a good portion, a little dry but still tasty. To follow, we went for a mix of vegetable dishes. The okra and aubergine were delicious but they got our order of ‘onion sambar’ wrong which was a shame as the standard sambar was essentially a very spicy gravy. We thought garlic rice would be a fluffy fragrant alternative to plain rice but it was a little oily for my liking. My sweet lassi was lovely. Service was relaxed but efficient and it was good to see several more diners arrive as our meal progressed. So overall a mixed bag but for me still a good, easy-going, value option at £32 for two.

He said: Ever since spending quite a lot of time in Dubai (home to the largest South Asian community outside of that continent) we have been scouring London for Indian food of that quality (very high) at that price point (very low, e.g. £4 for an unlimited refills vegetarian thali; good luck finding any thali that refills in London, even at three times that price…).So naturally we ended up at Sagar, which is a very good value, long-established veggie place off trendy(ish) Charlotte Street. The food was pretty nice, though I’m more partial to North Indian cooking and naturally biased against Sagar’s style of cooking. Still, I liked it. But I simply could not get over the fact that the rice was overcooked; I mean that is totally unforgivable for any Indian kitchen; it’s like overcooked pasta in Italy, or soggy Belgian fries – your compatriots would never look you in the eye again. Would they dare send that out to their mother? And also the wrong sambar came out; I really am good and loving to my fellow man, giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, but we were the first and only people in the restaurant when we gave our pretty straightforward order. By all means go, I will again, but beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment